![]() |
| original art from MOTHERSHIP |
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
Aliens came out 40 years ago this week and I thought I should talk about it.
When I was growing up my mom kept an extremely close watch on what kind of media I consumed. Cartoon ghosts were condemned as demonic. Fantasy magic was devil worship. Sitcoms where the characters had extramarital sex were deemed harmful to my moral fabric. Even the Archie comics I collected were, for a while, the Al Hartley Christian comics because that's all my mother would let me read. I had been exposed to horror themes as a child, largely through gaps in my mother's surveillance: the odd ghost story here, playing Doom in my neighbor's basement there. But after my parents' divorce, my mom started paying a little less attention, and was a little more lax in what she was willing to let me read or watch or play; in that space I was able to cultivate a great love for horror that has lasted to this day.
Neither Alien nor Aliens were my first Alien film. That was Alien3, and I watched it on network television (I don't remember which channel, though probably WXIX, the local Fox affiliate) by myself one night. In retrospect, it seems improbable that it would get a prime-time showing, but the 1990s were strange. I only know that it was just before my parents split; mom was studying for her theology degree and not paying attention to what I was doing in the living room.
![]() |
| Alien vs Predator (1994) for the Atari Jaguar |
Alien is a big franchise now, often crossing over with Predator (which I am not nearly as enamored of, though still enjoy.) There's been comic books, video games, several movies, even a TV show now. When I was young I think I would have found all that amazing; these days, I've been frustrated with the direction the franchise has taken since Alien Resurrection and especially since Disney bought the rights, and I find myself retreating to the comfort of the original trilogy and the Dark Horse novels and the video games up to Aliens: Colonial Marines (which isn't that bad.) I'm often torn between which I like better, Alien or Aliens; my opinion can sometimes switch on rewatches, and right now I feel like I'm pretty firmly Team Aliens.
![]() |
| Event Horizon |
There's a lot of fun stuff to be found in the space horror theme. Aliens was a big deal, and spawned a lot of imitators; Doom is basically Aliens meets Evil Dead, just as an example. (And of course, modders brought things full circle with several Aliens-themed mods for Doom.) The recent passing of Sam Neill (what an actor!) brings to mind Event Horizon, one of his better movies, a sort of Amityville-in-Space (not counting the actual Amityville in Space, which I swear to Palutena is a real thing) whereupon a rescue crew is dispatched to a haunted starship — haunted not by the ghosts of its missing crew, but by the ship itself, seemingly alive after its years-long disappearance. There's plenty of space horror to be found in video games, too, like Dead Space, Routine, System Shock; there's even tabletop RPGs like MOTHERSHIP. And I just keep buying it all, because this is my genre. It's been a growing obsession for thirty years.
In the last year before she passed away, I finally showed my mom Alien. Her reaction was funny, because for someone with as poor observation skills and media literacy as she had, she saw some scares a mile away. But she understood, on some level, why I'm so obsessed with this franchise and its imitators. There's so much out there that we don't know and can't explain; mom tried to find answers in the Bible, but even the Bible can't account for everything. Even leaving aside the abject terror of the unknown, there's just something fun about it; it's fun to imagine the future, and sci-fi horror feels realistic, an acknowledgment that the future is something we cannot know.
I don't miss my childhood, restricted and friendless and frequently bullied and abused by everyone I knew. But Aliens feels like home to me, with its dark corridors and bad weather and smoking hot people covered in dirt and sweat the way actors aren't allowed to be now; with its central protagonist an all-loving mother figure who will stop at nothing to protect against a seemingly impossible threat. For all my baggage with my mom, for all that happened growing up, she never gave up on her identity as a mother, not just to me but to her students. I wish I could have shown Aliens to my mom; I think it would have resonated with her.





No comments:
Post a Comment